Presented in Partnership with ShortCourses@NFTS – the Gold Standard in Film Industry Professional Development
⏲ 18th – 19th March, 10:00 to 18:00
A Sound Design Short Course In London Taught By The Best
In this two day intensive sound design short course, organised in partnership with ShortCourses@NFTS, world-renowned sound designer Paul Davies guides a small group of students through the specific, practical lessons he’s learned in a career spanning over thirty years.
Using clips from his own diverse body of work, including films such as We Need to Talk About Kevin, ‘71 and the BAFTA-winning doc The Imposter, Davies explains the creative solutions he’s found over the years and will show students how to apply these solutions to their own work using practical live demonstrations. Davies teaches techniques that help you move beyond technical proficiency to reach the artistic level that attracts major directors like Lynne Ramsay and Steve McQueen, and he reveals how film history can be applied to make novel creative contributions to sound design.
This course will be highly interactive, with hands-on exercises and lively discussions that will continue into the evenings as the tutors join the students for a complimentary drink down the pub at the end of the first day.
Who’s it for?
This course is ideal for jobbing sound designers who want to take their craft to the next level – as well as for directors, producers, editors, and any other film professionals who want to gain a better understanding of this essential part of cinematic storytelling.
Where is it?
Cinema Jam HQ, Collective Temperance Hospital, 110 Hampstead Road, London, NW1 2LS
(nearest Underground station: Euston)
How much does it cost?
£259 for two full days of instruction.
Lunch and light refreshments provided during the day and a drink down the pub on Saturday.
You can see the full syllabus right here.
To cancel your place on this course, notice of cancellation must be given by email to info(at)cinemajam.com.
- If you cancel at least 28 working days prior to the start of the course you will receive a full refund minus a 10% administration fee
- If you cancel between 28 and 10 working days prior to the start of the course you will receive a 50% refund
- If you cancel less than 10 working days before the event you will not be entitled to a refund
No refund will be made for non-attendance on the course.
Terms & Conditions
- By registering it is implied that you accept the terms and conditions applied to the service. It is the responsibility of the user to analyse all the information published here before proceeding with the registration. The organization reserves the right to change the terms and conditions without previous notice. These changes will be published on this official event page and will be considered valid from that moment onwards.
- Cinema Jam Ltd. reserves the right to cancel a registration if the participant does not meet any eligibility requirements described above. In these cases a full refund will be issued.
- No booking will be considered valid until Cinema Jam Ltd. receives the total value of the registration.
- The registrations cannot be re-utilized or returned, unless in case of cancellation of the session, yet if it is possible and reasonable, the name of the registration can be changed for another person to attend the session. Please bear in mind that Cinema Jam Ltd. will not be responsible for travel expenses, or any other additional expense, in case of cancellation. Cinema Jam Ltd. will equally not be responsible for any monetary compensation in case of timetable changes or cancellations. Cinema Jam Ltd. is also not responsible for any compensation or devolution in case of absence of the event by the participant for any major reason (ie: situations outside of the sphere of control of Cinema Jam Ltd., such as war or threat of war; riots; civil unrest; industrial dispute; airport shutdowns; flight cancellations; terrorist activity; natural disaster; nuclear disaster; fire, adverse weather conditions; or similar situations).
- There is a chance that the Cinema Jam Ltd. might have to make alterations regarding dates or timetables, either due to changes in the professional schedule of the workshop speakers or due to travel difficulties. These alterations are beyond our control and will not be cause for reimbursement.
- There won’t be any devolutions or reimbursements in case of absence by the participant for professional, personal or health reasons.
- The registration will be considered invalid in case of illicit resale.
- The participants are responsible for checking the veracity of the information during the registration and report any errors or mistakes as soon as possible.
- Cinema Jam Ltd. reserves the right to refuse entry and reimbursements in case of abusive behaviour, physical and psychological threats, drunk or disrespectful attitude. The same is applied in case the participant tries to enter the event with any object considered as a weapon or with any illegal substance.
- Cinema Jam Ltd. will not be considered responsible for the loss or destruction of private property of the participant, nor will it be responsible for any medical or hospital expenses in case of injury or illness inflicted during the event nor on its installations or in the city that is hosting the event. For this exact reason the organization advises the participants to acquire health and travel insurance against all possible risks.
- By purchasing this course you hereby authorise Cinema Jam Ltd (the Producer) to record and edit your name, likeness, image, voice and participation in the performance on film, tape or otherwise. You agree that the Recording may be edited and otherwise altered at the sole discretion of Cinema Jam Ltd and used in the whole or in part for any and all broadcasting, non-broadcasting, audio/visual, and/or exhibition purposes in any manner or media, in perpetuity, throughout the world. Cinema Jam Ltd may use and authorise others to use all or parts of the Recordings. Cinema Jam Ltd, its successors and assigns shall own all right, title and interest, including copyright, in the Recordings, to be used and disposed of without limitation as Cinema Jam Ltd shall in its sole discretion determine.
- You will be automatically considered for free membership in Cinema Jam and if your profile matches Cinema Jam’s membership criteria, you will be added to our membership database. If your profile does not match our membership criteria, you may still receive communications from us in future regarding offers, events and courses.