Day one with Mick Audsley
- Intro of how I got into editing and why.
- The principles of montage and narrative structure in regard to the feature film as the “whole” as “three acts ” and as “scenes.”
- My theory of “Narrative Values “as a guide to making the numerous choices in the selection of material in the editing process.
- Practical methods of preparation and daily practises during shooting.
- Bins and material organisation and the “Marked up” script and related paper work.
- The organisation of versions from First to Final Cut and work practises throughout the interim stages.
- How to stay fresh and clear about these many stages of work.
- How sound works in relation to picture editing.
- Multi track audio and the cutting process.
- The relationship with sound design and composed music.
- Use of source music and temp mixes.
- How to develop the diplomacy and articulation of ideas in working with directors, producers and writers.
- How to be a team player for the benefit of the project and all the other disciplines an editor has to work with.
- How to deal with notes and criticisms throughout the cutting and completion of the movie in regard to screenings and market research previews.
- How previews work.
- A detailed illustrated break down of 2 scenes from “Dirty Pretty Things” using an Avid time line and clips to discuss frame by frame the sequences and their construction in relation to the script pages and promote a discussion on how ‘suspense’ works in the dramatic narrative.
- How to deal with the difficulties associated with the construction of movie openings and how ‘set up ‘ needs to operate.
- Endings in reflation to openings.
Day two with David Charap
- Introduction: Making sense of Human Life
- Clips from Life in a Day and The Possibilities are Endless
- The purpose of documentary making
- Documentaries and Internet content
- The practicalities of bringing stories and characters to film
- Drama vs Documentary
- Clips from Men of the City and Freefall
- Good and Bad reasons to cut
- Editing Ethics
- The cutting room in real time
- Working with other departments
- Clips from Cutting Barking and All White in Barking
- Do you know where you are going?
- How to shape a film in a cutting room?
- Clips from My Nazi Legacy
- All about Avid
- Cautionary tales
- A backstage glimpse of a documentary still in production